Thursday, July 31, 2014

ugly American(girl dolls) and why there are no such thing




All joking aside, there is no such thing as an ugly american girl doll. Today I will go through some dolls that I have witnessed people call ugly. I will list their names, their release year, and their time period if they're historical.


1. Addy Walker
1993
1864
 I just wanted to be blunt, I thought Addy was ugly when I was first into AG. Then I seen her at the AG Place in Atlanta, and I thought so no more. In 6th grade, my friend and I were picking American girl books at the school library. I got Felicity's and she chose Samantha. Later, after school we were on the phone and she called numerous dolls ugly. ( most of the examples on this list are straight from her mouth). She called Addy ugly, and I said " I'm still gonna try to check out her books" (never got to, out class got banned from the library) she then said "YOU ARE????" and I don't mean she yelled, I mean she was shocked.

2. Josefina Montoya
1997
1824
If you have read my post under the "Collectors you have met in person/talked to on the phone" thread, then you know what I'm about to say. My friend, who I will call Berry from now on, (same friend in the above example) literally said I shit you not "she looks dirty". There are no words.

3. Molly McIntyre
1986
1944
Mollydollface 
Sorry this is so blurry.
Berry was looking through Molly's cookbook in the school library and said out of nowhere SHE 'S UGLY! Her reasons- Glasses. Um, Berry, you and I had glasses at the time. sucks to be her, I'm rocking contacts now.
 



4. Kaya'aton'my
2002
1764
Berry didn't like her because of her closed-mouth smile. I think it makes her look calm and serene. Anyway, her smile isn't just a stylistic choice. It is accurate to her culture. It was considered rude to smile open mouthed, they believed that you looked mad, like an animal baring it's teeth. I would like to see a variation on the Kaya mold, with an open smile for use on other dolls.

5. Ivy Ling
2007
1974
Ivy is a lovely doll, but Berry disagreed. So what was Ivy's offense, you ask? Looking like a pig. Once again, I shit you not.

6. Marie-Grace&Cecile
2011
1853
Berry was "picky" to say the least. She didn't dislike 1, no she went all the way. She disliked both. Marie-Grace and Cecile were put on trial and were found guilty of: Having an ugly face,and having hazel eyes when she was black. Also being "historically inaccurate" as in a white girl and a black girl being friends before civil rights.


Please take pleasure in that you never had to deal with Berry. 

1 comment:

  1. Ivy is the most adorable AG doll and the second-most adorable doll I own.
    I do admit Molly kinda reminds me of an annoying boy in my 2nd grade class, and so therefore is scarred in my mind.

    ReplyDelete